Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Bread?
You can definitely get sick from eating moldy bread. Even if the bread has mold on one side and not on the other side, do not eat that bread – molds have widespread roots, and you can’t see them in some parts. People with mold allergy can have breathing problems if they eat moldy bread.
Symptoms associated with mycotoxins might vary based on the type of mold and the amount taken. Consuming moldy bread frequently results in the symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and, occasionally, allergic responses or respiratory issues.
By the way, if you’re interested in How To Preserve Carrots, check out my article on that.
The Dangers of Moldy Bread: Harmful Molds and Health Risks
Misfeeding moldy bread does very well in getting someone sick — and not only because it tastes bad, but because some molds can get pretty nasty. More importantly, while the usual molds on bread are not particularly damaging, there are certain dangerous molds that may harm your health.
Although molds can grow on many types of foods, bread mold is prevalent because bread provides a highly desired nutrient source for mold growth. However, I learned from my research that it is never worth cutting out the mold itself to eat the rest of your bread.
|Side effects||Shelf life|
|It can cause food poisoning||3-4 days home made|
|Acute liver disease||Up to 7 days if it’s store-bought|
|Nausea and vomiting||7-14 days in refrigerator|
Can I eat moldy bread if I toast it?
Moldy bread cannot be made edible by toasting it. Mycotoxins, which are produced by mold and may not be removed by toasting, can withstand heat. It’s possible that toasting will kill or inactivate some mold spores, but this doesn’t mean that all health hazards from consuming moldy bread will be completely eliminated.
When mold growth can be seen on bread, it means that the bread likely contains mold spores and mycelium, the mold’s root structure, not just on the surface. Therefore, even if the apparent mold is removed by toasting it or chopping it off, there may still be mycotoxins and unseen mold spores inside the bread that might cause health issues.
Generally speaking, it’s recommended to stay away from eating bread that has noticeable mold development. If you believe that you have consumed moldy bread or any other moldy food, throw away any bread that has mold growth on it, keep an eye on your health for any negative reactions, and get medical help if you see any worrisome symptoms.
Store perishable items like bread in a cool, dry place and inspect them frequently for mold to stop it from growing there. Your food’s freshness can be preserved and the probability of mold formation can be decreased with proper handling and storage.
What should I do if I ate moldy bread?
Here are some actions you can do if you unintentionally ate moldy bread:
- Don’t worry; most of the time, eating a small amount of moldy bread won’t seriously harm you, especially if you’re healthy and have a robust immune system.
- Spit it out: If you notice you are eating moldy bread, spit it out right away and rinse your mouth with fresh water to get rid of any mold spores that may still be there.
- Look for any signs: Consider any negative side effects or symptoms you may notice after consuming the moldy bread. You can have nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea as common symptoms.
- Drink water: Water is important to consume since it helps your body remove any potential pollutants.
- Speak with a healthcare provider: It’s critical to get medical help if you have any serious symptoms or have concerns about your health. This is crucial if you have allergies, a compromised immune system, or other underlying medical issues.
- Avoid eating more moldy bread: Even if you don’t have any immediate symptoms, it is advised to refrain from consuming any more moldy bread. To avoid additional exposure, discard the remaining part and look for mold growth in other foods.
Following these recommendations will help you prevent unintentionally swallowing stale bread or other foods in the future.
- Before eating bread and other perishables, inspect them. If you notice any mold growth, discard it right away.
- To prevent mold growth, store bread, and other foods in the prescribed manner.
- Maintain a clean and dry kitchen area since moisture encourages mold formation.
Always be mindful that eating food that has mold on it might be dangerous to your health since some varieties of mold can release mycotoxins. Do not hesitate to seek expert medical advice if you have any questions or concerns.
Click on this link if you want to learn How Long Is The Dough Cycle On The Bread Machine
What are the symptoms of eating moldy bread?
Eating moldy bread or other foods may not necessarily result in apparent symptoms, particularly if the person has a strong immune system or just consumes a little amount of mold. However, depending on the type of mold and the person’s susceptibility, eating moldy bread can cause specific symptoms. The following are some typical signs that could appear:
- Gastrointestinal Problems: Nausea, vomiting, cramping in the stomach, and diarrhea are the most typical symptoms. These symptoms can appear within a few hours to a day following the consumption of moldy bread.
- Allergic Reactions: Some people may develop allergic reactions to mold, which can cause symptoms including runny or stuffy noses, itchy or watery eyes, and skin rashes. People with allergies or asthma may be more prone to these symptoms.
- Respiratory Problems: Inhaling mold spores while eating moldy bread can occasionally result in respiratory problems like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, or aggravation of pre-existing respiratory disorders.
- Headache and Exhaustion: For some people, mold exposure can lead to general ill health, lethargy, and headaches.
- Immune Response: Depending on the particular mycotoxin involved, certain molds may produce mycotoxins, toxic compounds that can disrupt the immune system and cause various symptoms.
It’s critical to remember that symptoms might differ significantly based on the person’s mold sensitivity as well as the particular mold species that was present on the bread. While some people may have severe reactions, others may only have minor symptoms or none at all.
It’s crucial to keep an eye on your health and get medical help if your symptoms worsen or persist if you believe you may have consumed moldy bread and any of the aforementioned symptoms.
If you have eaten moldy bread, you should be extra cautious and get medical guidance if you have a compromised immune system, allergies, or respiratory issues. It’s better to stay away from any meal that exhibits obvious mold growth as a general rule.
To learn about How To Preserve Cucumber, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.
If I unintentionally eat some moldy bread, will I get sick?
It’s quite improbable that eating mold will give you health problems. There shouldn’t be any other symptoms, such as vomiting or diarrhea, beyond a slight feeling of unease and a little stomach ache. You should see a doctor right away if, in the uncommon event that your symptoms do worsen and persist.
How soon may mold cause illness?
These symptoms often appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure, peaking 1 to 3 days later. Shortness of breath, a cough that worsens over time, and weight loss are among the symptoms experienced by those who are impacted. The only way to link your symptoms to your employment is if they go away and then come back when you go back to work.
Is it alright to consume somewhat stale bread?
No, it is not safe to consume moldy bread. If a loaf of bread has even a tiny bit of mold on it, it is probably contaminated all over. You can get a slight stomach ache and some nausea at the same time. Bread is a soft food, making mold spores easy to enter and spread swiftly.