Skip to Content

How To Know If Mushrooms Are Spoilt

How To Know If Mushrooms Are Spoilt

While all these mushrooms will exhibit similar signs when they are going bad, it is important to know how they look when fresh, so that you can tell when something is wrong. Just keep in mind that mushrooms usually last for seven to 10 days, and if you see any signs that mushrooms are going bad, such as smelly odors or slimy textures, think twice about using them.

Whole fresh mushrooms will keep for 10 days in the fridge, whereas cut mushrooms rot twice as quickly as whole mushrooms, lasting between 5 to 7 days before discoloration. Fresh, whole mushrooms can last a week or two in the fridge, whereas sliced ones need to be cooked and consumed in four to seven days. Most chefs and experts agree that, when stored correctly, raw mushrooms can last for up to two weeks in the refrigerator before spoiling. Whole mushrooms can last for up to 10 days in the refrigerator or freezer, and freshly-cut mushrooms can last for seven days.

Ways
TextureThere texture becomes soft and slimy
SpotsFungus/Mold starts to grow on it
SmellThere smell becomes earthy and fishy
Ways to tell if mushrooms have gone bad.

The ideal way to store mushrooms is by leaving them whole and packing them into a plastic zip-lock bag before placing in the refrigerator, thereby increasing the time that mushrooms will last. Do not store them in sealed containers or plastic bags, because these will both cause the mushrooms to deteriorate more quickly. Another way to keep mushrooms relatively fresh is to store them in plastic bags lined with paper towels to help trap the moisture. There are numerous ways to prevent mushrooms from going bad, including properly and rapidly blasting them, keeping them in breathable containers, and using them ASAP.

The worst situation that could occur, where you have seen no signs of the mushrooms going bad, is that you have cooked them in dishes and eaten them.

Watch this video to learn about the signs of spoilt mushrooms

Even when mushrooms do show signs of going bad, eating bad mushrooms you bought at a safe source like the grocery store probably will not harm you much. Bad mushrooms are soft (possibly rubbery), sticky, slimy, wrinkled, perhaps moldy and discolored, and can smell bad. Most mushrooms barely, if ever, have any scent, so an off-putting odor may be another telltale sign your mushrooms are going bad. If you get a strong odor when you open a bag, or even when you open your refrigerator, then it is a sign your mushrooms are going bad.

You can generally tell by smell whether or not your mushrooms are going bad, because they will develop a sticky/slimy texture and become darker. Now, you are wondering how you tell if mushrooms are not good to eat seeing they have been sitting in the fridge for a week or so. I know how this goes, you are looking at the back of your refrigerator and notice there is a container of mushrooms you forgot to buy from the grocery store.

If your mushrooms seem way too shriveled, it is time to pick up a fresh batch. If your mushrooms are odorless and looking quite nice, then you may want to think about freezing the mushrooms before they get stale. In short, use your best judgment: If mushrooms look slimy or smell bad, you probably should not eat them.

Even if your mushrooms seem fine–they smell fine, hold up to their texture, are not discolored–they could still be a lousy one. If they are just past two weeks old, but they still look, smell, and taste fine, then they are probably safe to eat. The best you can do is to monitor your mushrooms for as long as they are in the freezer.

First of all, if there are signs saying the mushrooms that you got home are turning goopy and have slimy coatings, throw them out immediately, because when they are goopy, they are 100% rotten.

If you’re interested in Can You Eat Button Mushroom Raw, take a look at my other article

If mushrooms are just starting to get bad, you can simmer them to prolong their shelf life, but if they are already turning slimy, you are better off getting rid of them than eating them. When mushrooms turn bad from being stored more than two weeks, many species of mushrooms will have developed increased levels of psilocybin and psilocin. If you would like to keep the cooked mushrooms longer, as well as fresh mushrooms, you are better off freezing them in covered, airtight containers or plastic freezer bags. Like most vegetables, mushrooms will decay and develop bacteria if stored too long, so, yes, mushrooms will turn bad.

The best way to freeze mushrooms is to prepare them first, and then pack them in sealed airtight containers or in plastic freezer bags (use whatever holds less air while sealing). For cause, the Mushroom Board recommends placing fresh, whole mushrooms into a perforated, open-ended brown paper bag, which allows for air circulation and prevents the growth of molds and slimy substances. The trapped moisture can lead many commercially sold mushrooms to grow moldy, slimy, and discolored, with a loss in texture and flavor, according to Vergara.

Rotting mushrooms typically have a fishy or earthy odor, which is stronger if mushrooms are damaged. When mushrooms smell strange, or they smell strong and acidic, which can be detected right away, these mushrooms should be spoiled. Mushrooms are fungi, which usually arrive covered with some sort of mud, so it is hard to know whether they are spoiled, or if they are just, well, fungal. Mushrooms should be solid and puffy, so if they show any of the signs we have laid out below, then your mushrooms might be bound for the dumpster.

If you’re interested in How Long Can You Leave The Chicken In The Fridge, take a look at my other article

While it might just be easier to purchase some dried mushrooms and reconstitute them, you need to know what to look for when mushrooms are going bad — especially if you do not want to get accidentally ill.

When should you not eat mushrooms?

A taste test is usually sufficient to determine whether or not your mushrooms have expired. If the texture of your mushrooms has changed from firm and plump to sticky and slimy, this is a dead giveaway that they are spoiled. Similarly, if they are drying out or withering away, it’s time to say goodbye.

What happens if you eat spoiled mushrooms?

If you eat spoiled mushrooms, you may experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. You may also experience cramps, fever, and headache. In severe cases, eating spoiled mushrooms can lead to liver damage or death.

How to tell if sliced mushrooms are bad?

First, take a look at the mushrooms and see if there are any signs of spoilage, such as mold or discoloration. If the mushrooms look fine, then smell them to see if they have an off odor. If they smell okay, then taste a small amount to see if they are still good.If the mushrooms pass all of these tests, then they are probably still good to eat.