How Long Can A Prime Rib Last In The Fridge
Prime rib can last in the fridge for three days in an airtight container. But if you store it properly using the wet-aged method it can last for up to 14 days. If the prime rib is stored by using the dry-aged method, it can be kept for about 3 months.
Prime rib is a popular cut of beef that is often served on special occasions, such as holidays or celebrations.
If you have leftover prime rib, you may be wondering how long it can last in the fridge. In this article, we will explore how long a prime rib can last in the fridge and provide tips on how to properly store it.
How long can a prime rib last in the fridge?
Typically, prime ribs can be refrigerated for up to 3 days when stored properly using the wet aging method. If you store a wet-aged rib, it can be stored for a maximum of 14 days. If you choose to store a raw patty in the freezer using the wet seasoning method, it can keep for up to two weeks, but with the dry seasoning method, you can keep it for up to six months.
With the dry ageing method, you can store a raw ribeye steak in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, but remember to open it.
The best way to defrost a 6kg patty
- Place it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before planning to cook it (depending on the time of year and refrigerator temperature).
- For best results, salt the patty on all surfaces with kosher salt at least 45 minutes before cooking, preferably the night before, leaving it in the refrigerator, uncovered overnight.
- If you plan to cook the ribs within the next 4-5 days of delivery, store the meat and side dishes in the refrigerator to start defrosting
- Leave the meat in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to thaw completely before cooking
- Place a deep dish in the refrigerator 1-2 days before cooking to thaw a 5-pound rib.
If you defrost this way, you can wait up to 2 days before cooking the meat.
How long does cooked meat last in the refrigerator and freezer?
Cooked meat can last 2 to 3 months in the freezer and less than five days in the refrigerator. Red meat cut into roasts, steaks, or chops can be kept 3 to 5 days before use, while cooked meat or poultry can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. The USDA recommends putting raw roasts, steaks, and ribs in the freezer after a year and raw ground beef after as little as four months.
|Prime Rib||3 days||9 months|
|Left over prime rib||5-7 days||6 months|
Regardless of cut, most raw meat can be stored in the refrigerator for three to five days. It is safe to conclude that your raw meat can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months or even longer. All other cuts of beef can be safely refrigerated for an additional 3-5 days before cooking. During this time, if you decide not to use the meat, you can safely re-freeze it without heat treatment.
USDA and FDA recommendations
The USDA recommends using beef cooked for 3-4 days and refrigerated (40 degrees Fahrenheit or less). According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), meat, pork, beef, chicken, and other foods should not be stored outside the refrigerator for more than two hours. Whole cuts of meat (ribs, roasts) can be used in the refrigerator for 3-5 days before cooking.
Frozen rib roast can be thawed in the refrigerator for 3-5 days before cooking. According to USDA standards, raw rib roast lasts about 3-5 days when stored at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the refrigerator. Cook until the rib roast reaches an internal temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit (or desired temperature).
To learn about using aluminium foil in an air fryer, check out my other article where I cover things in detail.
How long do cooked ribs last?
Cooked ribs usually keep in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days if kept refrigerated at all times. Dry ageing is optional, but if you have the time and space in the fridge, you can dry the raw rib roast for a few days to bring out the flavour and get a more buttery texture.
Enzymes break down certain proteins in meat. Raw rib roast, if stored wrapped in aluminium foil in an airtight container or airtight plastic freezer bag, will be kept in the freezer for about 6-12 months. The USDA says a raw roast should be kept in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, and unfortunately, a 3-rib roast takes about three days to defrost, meaning if I put it in tonight, I’ll have to take it out right away.
Tips for storing prime rib in the fridge
To ensure that your prime rib lasts as long as possible in the fridge, there are a few key steps you can take:
- Store it properly: To keep your prime rib fresh, store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic or aluminium foil. This will help prevent air from getting in and causing the meat to spoil.
- Use a thermometer: When cooking your prime rib, use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help kill any bacteria that may be present in the meat and reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
- Cool it quickly: After cooking your prime rib, let it cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge. This will help prevent the growth of bacteria by reducing the time the meat spends at a temperature where bacteria can grow.
- Use it quickly: If you plan on storing your prime rib in the fridge, try to use it within 3-4 days to ensure it stays fresh and is safe to eat.
- Reheat it properly: When reheating your prime rib, heat it to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help kill any bacteria that may have grown on the meat in the fridge.
To learn about using black bananas for banana bread, check out my other article where I cover things in detail.
How long does leftover prime rib last?
If you properly store leftover prime rib, it will last longer. All you need to do is wrap any leftover prime rib in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze it. Leftover prime rib is useful for five to seven days in the fridge or almost six months in the freezer.
How long can prime rib stay in the fridge after the sell-by date?
After purchasing the prime rib, you can refrigerate it for 3 to 5 days. Be mindful that the “sell-by” date on the package may pass during this storage period, but the prime rib will remain safe to consume even after the expiration date, assuming it is properly stored.
What happens if you eat spoiled prime rib?
Eating spoiled prime rib contaminated with pathogenic bacteria you may get foodborne illnesses like food poisoning. The symptoms of this food poisoning are nausea, vomiting, fever, abdominal aches, and other diarrheal issues. Some meat-pathogenic bacteria may even cause bloody diarrhoea.