Skip to Content

Can You Get Sick From Eating Undercooked Salmon

Can You Get Sick From Eating Undercooked Salmon

Can You Get Sick By Eating Undercooked Salmon

If the salmon you are eating is under-cooked, there shouldn’t be a problem if the fish is fresh and properly handled for no bacteria accumulation. But if not, eating raw or undercooked salmon can pose serious health issues. You can get viral and bacterial infections, ciguatera, and tapeworms.

Infection is one of the most likely outcomes of eating undercooked and unsafe salmon. Another health risk associated with eating undercooked salmon is that it can lead to several types of diseases, including ciguatera and mackerel poisoning, as well as anisakiasis. Eating undercooked salmon can put you at risk of tapeworm, bacterial and viral infections, and cross-contamination, which is a big problem for some people, such as pregnant women, children, and the elderly. As long as salmon is fresh and properly handled to avoid bacterial contamination, you are unlikely to get sick from eating raw fish.

By the way, if you are interested in How To Preserve Carrots, check out my article on that.

However, it’s important to know that raw salmon can contain parasites, bacteria, and other toxins that can be harmful even in small doses. Raw salmon may contain contaminants such as bacteria, parasites, and other pathogens that come from the salmon’s natural habitat or from improper handling. If you eat raw fish, you are at risk of contracting bacterial infections such as Vibrio vulnificus Vv, Shigella dysenteriae type 1 Sd1, and Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium Stm.

The main types of food poisoning that can result from eating raw or undercooked fish and shellfish include Salmonella and Vibrio vulnificus. Eating raw or undercooked fish, including salmon, is not recommended as this increases the risk of foodborne illness. If you have an illness or medical condition that weakens your immune system, avoid eating raw salmon, as it can lead to serious and even life-threatening foodborne infections.

Find out what mistake you should avoid while making salmon.

It can be an extremely tasty meal, but there are some potential risks that make it imperative to source salmon from a reliable source and prepare it in a safe and hygienic manner. Whether you’re a sashimi fan or not, most of us know that the freshness of raw meat is critical to safety, and eating raw or undercooked meat comes with great health risks. While salmon can be eaten raw with no harmful benefits, like any other type of raw meat, it must be handled with care or you risk food poisoning in yourself or those who eat it.

Undercooked Salmon causeResults
Ciguatera poisoning Vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea
Scombroid poisoningFlushing rash, headache, dizziness, sweating and burning of mouth
Causes of eating undercooked salmon

As long as you can confirm that your salmon has been frozen according to FDA freezing guidelines, you can eat raw salmon and that’s great. Chefs recommend eating medium or rare salmon because it tastes best when it’s crumbly on the outside with a moist core that melts in your mouth. You should limit salmon to one treat no more than once a week and make sure it’s a serving that’s appropriate for your dog’s size. By the time you have everything prepped, you should also make sure that the salmon is kept refrigerated until it’s time to eat it, as this helps minimize potential exposure to pathogens.

Cooking the fish thoroughly will extend the life of the salmon and take longer to spoil. When you cook salmon and it turns translucent pink in the center and pink on the outside, your salmon is perfectly cooked and no longer needs to be cooked. You can eat slightly translucent salmon in the center, but if you notice that the center of the fish is predominantly a dark translucent pink-orange hue, then we recommend not to eat it.

If the color of the flesh is grayish or the smell is sharply fishy or smells like ammonia, then your salmon is bad and should not be eaten. In fact, you should wash the skillet or grill you are using before cooking other pieces of fish on it to reduce the chance of transferring bacteria. If you eat spoiled salmon, you can become seriously ill. By cooking salmon more often, you should learn to understand when it is good and when it is bad. If you cook it, undercooked or overcooked salmon can ruin your meal experience.

Cooked salmon should not be stored for more than three days, and it’s best to throw it away immediately after that time, as it’s most likely unsafe to eat. When you buy salmon, put it in the refrigerator or freezer as soon as possible, but within two hours, to slow down the growth of bacteria. Freezing salmon kills the micro-organisms in the fish and reduces the chance of infection. These parasites are usually killed by heating during cooking, but they can also be killed by freezing the fish if you are going to eat raw salmon.

Eating contaminated raw, lightly seasoned, or undercooked fish can result in the transmission of these babies to humans. Humans can only become infected with the parasite (Nanophyetus) if they eat raw fish or if they don’t practice good hygiene when preparing fish. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to infection with the greater Japanese tapeworm (also known as Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense), which is an invasive intestinal worm. Raw salmon has been known to occasionally contain tapeworms called helminths that live in the small intestine and can be up to 12 meters long (fu!).

While it is possible to eat raw salmon, you need to be careful as there is a possibility that raw or unprocessed salmon may contain parasites, being on the FDA’s list of foods known to be a source of these organisms. Bacterial and Viral Infections from Raw Salmon Like all types of seafood, salmon can be exposed to bacterial or viral infections that can cause mild to severe illness when raw fish is eaten. Cooking salmon at an internal temperature of 145xb0F (63) kills bacteria and parasites, but if you eat raw fish you risk infection (1, 2).

To learn about How To Melt Hersheys Chocolate, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.

Because cooking can kill bacteria, this happens more often when fish and shellfish are raw or undercooked, or stored at danger zone temperatures (135 to 41 degrees Fahrenheit) that allow these potentially harmful substances to grow.

Do not eat fresh raw wild salmon unless it is frozen or cured in brine, which kills latent parasites. The taste of fresh, firm fish like tuna and salmon can be good enough to cook half cooked (or even raw, like in sushi), while fresh, tender fish like cod and sea bass can be good enough for medium to medium heat cooking.

Can undercooked salmon cause diarrhea?

You can get two types of food poisoning from eating salmon: ciguatera poisoning and scombroid poisoning. Ciguatera poisoning indicates vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. These symptoms can increase muscle aches, headaches, itchy or numbness of the skin.

What happens if you eat undercooked salmon?

As the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggest, eating undercooked fish can make you vulnerable to being infected by a tapeworm. This includes the Japanese broad tapeworms, also known as Diphyllobothrium Nihonkaiense, that can be intestinally invasive. However, raw salmon can be considered eatable, but eating undercooked salmon or the salmon went bad should not be considered eatable.

Can You Eat Frozen Salmon Raw?

If your frozen salmon meets the FDA’s freezing guidelines, eating raw salmon should not be a problem. Some people find frozen raw salmons a more conventional preparation for parties. When making your own sushi, frozen salmons can be of more benefits as it is a lot more light on pockets.