Skip to Content

Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Jam

Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Jam

Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Jam

You can get sick from eating moldy jam. Jam can host toxin producing mold species that can be hazardous to your health. If you consume moldy jam, you may get gastrointestinal disorder. It also doesn’t taste good, you should throw it immediately if you notice any kind of mold in jam.

There are many sources that will tell you it is okay just to scrape out mold from your jams and jellies and eat the rest, but this is not actually safe because it is really hard to say which kind of mold is growing, and you are better off simply not taking that risk. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, molds in jams and jellies can create mycotoxin, so they should be discarded upon the first sight of mold, but there are some other foods, such as cheese, salami, and some vegetables, that are safe to eat after the mold is removed. Yogurt and sour cream can produce a mycotoxin if they get mold, so microbiologists advise against ever skimming off mold and using leftovers. While it is safe to scoop mold off foods like cheese, fruits, and vegetables, and eat what is left, all canned foods, including jams and jellies, should be discarded if you find mold, whether on the food or underneath the lid.

By the way, if you’re interested in Can Jam Go Bad, check out my article on that.

There could be other damaging underlying problems: Mold could be an indicator that your food has been improperly processed, causing other damaging conditions. This is typically mould from the environment, not from food, but exposure to mould may trigger vomiting, diarrhea, or headaches for some people. Symptoms of breathing in mold include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, fever, fatigue, and skin rashes. Ingestion of mold may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, headache, fever, skin rashes, and breathing difficulties.

Side effectsShelf life
Gastrointestinal disordersIn refrigerator 1 month
It can cause food poisoningAt room temperature 1 year
Nausea and vomitingIn fridge 1 month after opening
Side effects of eating expired jams and shelf life of jam.

How bad symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea are will depend on how much mold you ate, and on your age and general health. Because if you accidentally ate some really nasty mold, it could cause some really severe effects. Chances are, you are not going to get any bad effects from eating some mold…but that is definitely not something you should be actively trying to do. It seems to be a fairly safe bet that, if you really have a mold allergy, accidentally eating a little mold is not going to do too many things for your body.

Learn to store jams without a water bath

You may get sick after accidentally eating those molds, but it is more likely that is because mold tastes bad, rather than because there is some specific toxins there, says Rudolph Bedford. Molds themselves may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive, and some molds produce toxic substances (mycotoxins) that make you sick. Once established, molds produce toxins that can irritate your respiratory system and cause an allergic reaction. Although mold can create mycotoxin in foods, this typically does not occur until the mold has reached maturity and conditions are right–that is, when food has gone bad.

This nasty mould grows on all kinds of foods, including fruits and vegetables, breads, lunch meats, jams, salsas, and seasonings. Mold can spread through porous foods, like bread, as well as foods that have a high moisture content, like soft fruits and vegetables, yogurt, sour cream, jams and jellies, lunch meat, hot dogs, bacon, and essentially any leftover cooked foods that may have been contaminated beneath the surface. Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, can be contaminated beneath the surface, and may have bacteria growing with mold. Because it is hard for mold to get deep into the harder cheeses, these may be saved as long as mold is not a major problem.

If mold is removed, then the hard cheeses are good for eating, while the soft ones need to be avoided, as they are soft, and bacteria roots actually have a way of getting deep inside the cheese, he says. Hard cheeses (not to be confused with ones with molds that are part of the process) are okay to consume as long as you cut off at least 1 inch around and under the mould. For hard cheeses, where mold is not part of the production process (meaning that you found a patch of mold on your cheese by accident), you can cut it safely, again, with at least a 1-inch margin between the mold and the rest of the food – but only with hard cheeses.

Not all mold is harmful (and some, such as the kind used in cheese making, are actually tasty), but it is best to avoid any mold that was not added to your food deliberately. Molds cannot easily get into certain cheeses, tough salamis, hard fruits, and vegetables like they can soft foods, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Hard foods, such as Parmesan cheese, and some tough vegetables and fruits, are denser, making them harder for mold to penetrate, according to the USDAas guidelines. Cheesemakers use mold strains that cannot make mycotoxin, so types such as blue cheese are perfectly safe for consumption.

To learn about Can Hummus Go Bad, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.

Of course, molds can still grow in your fridge (although far slower), but following these guidelines can help you keep your food fresh and free from mold as much as possible. Preventing molds from growing can go a long way to keeping your food supplies intact and eliminating waste.

While cutting out mold seems to be a simple fix, there may still be some other harmful substances left over. While many people support peeling back the layers of mold so that you can safely eat the jam underneath, the U.S. Department of Agriculture strongly advises that you should throw out your jam cans immediately, even when you can see the mold on the surface. Even if you scrape away the layer of mold and eat the jam underneath, which seems to look okay, you are still at high risk for developing gastrointestinal problems from infection. Even if your food does not contain any specific types of mycotoxin-producing mold, the presence of visible mold may also indicate other potential problems with your jam (and with other canned goods), as the fact that mold is able to grow there suggests it was not properly heated or sealed, and may also harbor other types of bacteria or fungi.

Jams and jellies may harbor toxins-producing mold species that could be dangerous to your health, according to microbiologists, so you should throw out any jam with mold right away. Mold spores sometimes find their way into your jelly jar through contamination by a utensil you used on other food, such as bread. Toxins May Be Present: Foods with growing molds can have unseen bacteria growing alongside the molds, which may create and send off a toxic substance called a mycotoxin, which could contaminate an entire container of the food and make you sick.

Telltale signs of mold include white spots, unusually coloured patches, or foods that are softer than normal or smell worse. Fermented foods, which are made from healthy microorganisms that are specially introduced into fresh foods to increase shelf-life, are an entirely different beast,A but even those, too, can develop mold.

Can you get sick from eating old jam?

Some people are questioning if it’s still OK to consume jam or jelly, whether rising or homemade, as long as any visible mold is scraped off. According to microbiologists, jam and jelly can have toxin-producing mold species that can be harmful to your health, thus any moldy jam should be discarded right away.

What should I do if I ate mold?

Detwiler advises consulting a physician if you experience “prolonged” nausea and vomiting after knowing you consumed anything moldy. To help you get rid of waste products, “they might give drugs to cause vomiting or diarrhea,” the man claims. Therefore, it is better to throw away any moldy food you find the next time you are home.

How can you tell if the jam has gone bad?

Mold, yeast, or any off-smelling substance are typical indications that jam has spoiled. Get rid of the jam if it has a yeasty, alcoholic, or fermented scent. Similar rules apply if there are any organic growths visible on the surface. Feel free to taste it if everything appears and smells fine.