Skip to Content

Can Out Of Date Mushrooms Make You Sick

Can Out Of Date Mushrooms Make You Sick

Can Out Of Date Mushrooms Make You Sick?

You should never eat out of date mushrooms even if they look okay and edible. Out of date mushrooms are known to cause botulism – it is a rare condition but is quite deathly. So not only sick, you can die too. It starts with difficulty in breathing, nausea, and some time even paralysis.

Mushrooms & Food Poisoning Consuming mushrooms contaminated with harmful bacteria may sicken you. Mushroom food poisoning only happens when you eat mushrooms and toxins or bacteria get into your system. While you may be poisoned by a few mushrooms that you consume, most mushrooms will do no harm.

To learn about Can Hummus Go Bad, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.

If you are unfortunate enough to miss out on recognizing the signs of rotten mushrooms and ingesting them, you could be in for some truly terrible health risks, including food poisoning. If the mushrooms are rotten and you are not planning on cooking them, then they pose a higher risk for food poisoning because they are not going to be cooked. Keeping your raw mushrooms in the fridge may prove difficult, and it can actually decrease the shelf life.

BenefitsSide effects
Decrease the risk of cancerIncreased heart rate and blood pressure
Protect brain healthDry mouth, sometimes leading to nausea and vomiting
Support a healthy immune systemMuscle weakness and twitching
Benefits and Side effects of mushrooms.

If you would like to store cooked mushrooms longer, as well as fresh mushrooms, you are better off freezing them in covered, airtight containers or plastic freezer bags. Like most vegetables, mushrooms will spoil and develop bacteria if they are stored for too long, so, yes, mushrooms will spoil. Whole fresh mushrooms will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator, whereas cut mushrooms rot twice as quickly as whole mushrooms, in just 5 to 7 days before they turn brown. If you keep your fresh mushrooms correctly, they may last for up to seven days in the fridge before showing any telltale signs and starting to deteriorate. Most mushrooms only last for about one day at room temperature before they begin to brown and shrink, or get slimy.

Sliced mushrooms will last for only three or five days in the refrigerator, usually becoming limp, slimy, and discolored when they are not doing well. Although mushrooms can last seven days or longer, you are best off eating the entire mushrooms within three days of purchasing them, if at all. Two weeks is a long time for mushrooms, and no matter what signs there are that they are stale, you should not take any chances eating them. It is always best to eat mushrooms, as well as other foods, when mushrooms are fresh, as this is typically when they have the best flavor and when your body is full of all of the nutrients that they have.

Watch to know when mushrooms are bad

The worst situation that could occur, where you see no signs of the mushrooms being contaminated, is if you are cooking it in dishes and eating it. The mildest symptoms you may experience from eating bad mushrooms is that you get an upset stomach. Sometimes, eating old mushrooms will just make you have a tummy ache, feel cramps, and maybe throw up.

By the way, if you’re interested in Can Jam Go Bad, check out my article on that.

Eating old mushrooms can lead to serious food poisoning, causing certain medical complications, and destroying your bowels, which can take months to heal. In fact, the chances of getting sick or poisoned are low if you happen to accidentally consume contaminated mushrooms from a shop or a farm. Store-bought mushroom poisoning is extremely unlikely, though eating bad or spoiled mushrooms can lead to sickness or upset stomach. If you eat a spoiled mushroom you bought in a store, you are likely to experience a variety of symptoms, such as nausea and heartburn, elevated temperatures, and all of the common signs of food poisoning.

In reality, the mushrooms that you bought at the store, while they are packaged very tightly, have probably been sitting on a shelf at the store for days, and they are not going to be around long after you take them home. Store-bought mushrooms usually fit a standard of how long they are safe to eat because of their expiration dates and shelf lives. If you purchase your mushrooms fresh, whether at the market or at the store, they can expire within a couple of days of buying them. If, for example, they are left outside for hours after cooking before you put them in the refrigerator, they can lead to stomach problems when heated. To mitigate your risk of disease, make sure you clean mushrooms thoroughly before eating them, and store them in the refrigerator at all times.

If you notice any strong, unpleasant smells coming out of the mushrooms in your refrigerator, it means that they are really unsafe to eat. You can generally tell by feeling whether or not your mushrooms are spoiled, because they will have developed a slimy/sticky texture, and will become darker in color. Any discoloration signals that something is not right with your mushrooms, and you should probably throw them out. Once you notice that mushrooms are starting to show black or brown spots, throw out your mushrooms.

One thing to remember is sometimes mushrooms seem as though nothing has happened, but are decaying at the base, and this is definitely going to make you sick eating them. If mushrooms appear dried and wrinkled, use them immediately, as they will spoil before you know it, as they are at the brink of rotting. A small amount of ooze or a moist feeling on one or two mushrooms One or two mushrooms may not be harmful as long as you prepare them immediately after cleaning them, but they are best avoided as they can lead to food poisoning, or at least nausea. Of course, if you put your nose right next to mushrooms, you will detect the smell of mushrooms, but it should be mild and subtle.

The best thing that you can do is to monitor your mushrooms during their entire time in the freezer. If your mushrooms are giving off fishy or sour odors rather than sweet, earthy ones, then consider throwing them out before they can contaminate the rest of the foods in the fridge. While fresh mushrooms do not naturally contain any bacteria that could make you sick, they may be contaminated if they were grown in compost that was not properly disinfected.

Mushrooms are so tasty and versatile, you will be able to find a way to use them well before they get stale. The good news is, if you happen to eat a bad mushroom, it is probably not going to be much of an issue. If you are intentionally eating a wild mushroom hoping for drug-induced hallucinations, it is highly probable you are going to get sick.

What happens if you eat spoiled mushrooms?

Botulism, a rare but deadly disorder, can be brought on by rotten mushrooms. Breathing issues, vomiting, and paralysis are symptoms. Old mushrooms may potentially be contaminated with E. coli, particularly if they were handled carelessly or served raw.

Can you eat slimy mushrooms if you cook them?

A rotten mushroom will exhibit a slimy film as the telltale indication. The lifespan of your mushrooms can be extended if you catch the mold early and prepare them straight away, but once the slime starts, it’s a steep slope toward the darkening in color and mushy texture that signify mold of the inedible sort.

Can you get food poisoning from out-of-date mushrooms?

Eating bad mushrooms might make you quite ill. If you consume store-bought or farm-fresh mushrooms, there is little chance that this will occur. If you consume them prepared, they present even less risk. Nevertheless, taking precautions to prevent consuming spoiled or rotten food is a better idea.