Skip to Content

Can Mice Eat Chocolate

Can Mice Eat Chocolate

Can Mice Eat Chocolate?

Mice can eat chocolate, but it is not a healthy food for them. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, two chemicals that are toxic to mice and other animals. Consuming too much chocolate can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, and tremors in mice. In severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal for mice.

Because mice are not fond of this flavor, mice are not likely to consume enough chocolate that they will become fatally ill. Dark chocolate contains far more theobromine than milk chocolate, so, essentially, mice will naturally overlook the most dangerous chocolate. They also will actively avoid the stronger, bitterer varieties of dark chocolate which contain higher levels of theobromine.

Some studies show that dark chocolate that contains higher amounts of theobromine is not preferred by mice, likely due to its bitter flavor. Higher levels of theobromine may not be a good thing for mice, but since higher levels are found in the type of unsweetened dark chocolate that mice are not so fond of, it is unlikely they will ever consume enough of it to get killed. Yes, mice can die from eating too much chocolate as they cannot excrete the chemical called theobromine from their bodies. A chemical called theobromine is fatal for dogs and mice, because their bodies cannot process this chemical, and they cannot excrete this chemical from their bodies.

Watch this video to learn about eating chocolates by mice

It is thought that mice metabolize toxic components in chocolate at similar rates as humans, meaning there is not a high risk for mice toxicity when they eat chocolate. Although there has been very little concrete study done on this topic, it appears that mice are relatively theobromine-tolerant. Since mice can rapidly metabolize theobromine, there is virtually no risk of theobromine being toxic to your mice.

Although, humans are capable of eliminating the toxins found in cacao and chocolate, for mice, even a tiny amount of chocolate is toxic. Chocolate does not present a major toxicity threat for mice, and therefore, it is not likely that they will die, even though they do consume a fairly large amount. Reports by owners of pet mice indicate that mice are unlikely to be killed even if they ate a large amount of chocolate. For pet mice, vets hesitate to say whether chocolate could be used as a treat for mice because they are concerned that excessive feeding could result in mice eating amounts toxic to them.

Although pet mice and rodents generally like chocolate, and their favorite chocolate is milk chocolate, you should not give them that food. Although, you should not give chocolate to your pet mice, if you put a chocolate in front of the mouse or rat, it is sure that it will try to eat it. Unfortunately, even though it is not healthy for mice, or even kills them, mice absolutely love chocolate. In high quantities, it is toxic for mice, and because it contains no good nutrients for them, you are better off not giving them any.

The purpose of this study was not to see if chocolate is harmful for mice, but throughout the study, they actually fed chocolate to mice, and there was no sign that small amounts were toxic to their diet. Chocolate contains too much sugar, fat, and calories, which could cause them to become obese, and does not promote healthy eating. The fact is, although mice are relatively good at handling far less theobromine than other animals, chocolate is still not a healthy treat for mice.

You may have heard or read at one time that cheese was the most effective bait type for mice, but chocolate is actually far more effective because mice cannot handle high sugar. Chocolate is even commonly used as bait in rat traps (I know, as a rat owner, you might not want to hear this, baiting rats, but that just goes to show the point!). ; Due to its high sugar content, rats will be attracted to chocolate, therefore, it is important not to allow a large amount of chocolate for rats as this can pose health risks. Chocolate is poisonous only for rats if in sufficient quantities, so you can still give a small amount occasionally to your rat.

For additional security, avoid feeding your mouse chocolate; mice are generally tolerant to a variety of other non-poisonous foods, and will eat anything else you feed to them. It might be possible to feed your mice more than one small chocolate treat every couple weeks, but that is not what I or the vets recommend because results are not conclusive, nor is that what most owners of pet rats would like to try. To put it another way, while chocolate is very toxic for rats if consumed in large amounts, you should avoid placing pieces or bars of chocolate for rats to eat, as doing so could encourage more rats to come into your house and cause more harm.

While we certainly know chocolate kills mice, we would like to also learn how we can use chocolate effectively as a poison or bait in order to rid ourselves of our tiny pests from our homes. Among many methods for killing rats, including using baits and edible poisons, many people wonder whether giving rats chocolate is actually helpful for killing them, and just how quickly chocolate does its job. Mice are capable of drinking milk, but chocolate is one food with compounds that may be killing them.

Mice spent more time around white chocolate, but they actually consumed more milk chocolate, suggesting that although white chocolate might have been more attractive to mice, they preferred eating milk chocolate instead. One study found that although mice were most drawn to white chocolate, study animals preferred to eat milk chocolate the most.

Do mice like to eat chocolate?

Based on the research conducted by the Cheshire-based Sorex Ltd, a company that manufactures rodent control products, mice are more attracted to chocolate’s scent than to cheese or other aromas such as vanilla essence, according to the company.

Is chocolate toxic to rats?

It should be noted that rats are not poisoned by chocolate since they are able to digest the chemical theobromine, which may be harmful to other animals. Despite enjoying chocolate, they should only consume it as a treat on an occasional basis, as even though they want it, it can lead to weight gain and conditions such as diabetes.

What happens if a mouse eats chocolate?

Mice are known to have relatively strong livers than other animals. However, they also have crazy hunger pangs, which could lead to excessive chocolate consumption and theobromine overload. A mouse could die as a result of high theobromine in the blood.