Skip to Content

Can Dogs Drink Chocolate Milk

Can Dogs Drink Chocolate Milk

Can Dogs Drink Chocolate Milk

Don’t feed chocolate milk to your dog. Methylxanthines, which are hazardous to dogs like caffeine, are found in chocolate. Additionally, a lot of adult dogs struggle to digest milk due to their lactose intolerance, which results in flatulence and general discomfort. Call your veterinarian if your dog has ingested chocolate milk.

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, which both speed up a dogs heart rate and stimulate its nervous system, explains Merck/Merials Handbook for Veterinary Medicine. The caffeine in chocolate stimulates a dogs nervous system and reduces blood flow to the brain. Too much chocolate can affect a dogs nervous system and cardiovascular system, leading to hyperactive behavior and elevated heart rates, among other signs. Yes, chocolate is bad for dogs, and if your dog has consumed too much, there is the possibility of serious medical emergencies.

By the way, if you’re interested in How To Cut Chocolate, check out my article on that.

Even if the amount eaten is not an issue of toxicity, dogs may still get sick due to the fats and sugars found in chocolate. In some cases, depending on the chocolate and the amount consumed by your dog, ingestion may cause a medical emergency. Depending on your dogs size and how much chocolate your dog consumes, a dog could suffer a toxic reaction, with symptoms that can range from vomiting and diarrhea to seizures and sudden death. A dogs heart rate increases as a result, potentially leading to seizures and even death, should a dog eat too much cocoa powder or pieces of dark chocolate.

Can Dogs Drink Chocolate MilkWhat you can feed to your dogs
Methylxanthines which are hazardous to dogs like caffeine, are found in chocolateChicken
Many dogs can not digest milk due to their lactose intoleranceMeat
Can Dogs Drink Chocolate Milk and What human food you can feed to your dogs.

Smaller breeds are more susceptible than larger ones, so only 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder or dark chocolate is enough to make a sick reaction in that kind of dog. Small dogs are usually more susceptible to chocolate toxicity, as just a tiny amount can produce some really severe side effects. Dogs can drink a very small amount of chocolate milk without experiencing any life-threatening health problems. While it is possible for your dog to drink small amounts of chocolate milk without health issues, it is best to avoid this risk entirely by not giving your dog any chocolate at all.

Watch this video to learn the side effects of drinking chocolate milk by dogs

Even if a small amount of chocolate milk can be fine for larger dogs, it is still not recommended for pet owners to offer chocolate to their dogs as treats. If your dog is of larger breeds, it is still not recommended that you offer them milk chocolate as a reward. Even if your dog does not become sick after eating a little chocolate, though, it is still better for them to avoid it. If your dog does eat chocolate, you should keep an eye on them and get veterinary care if they are showing any symptoms, or if they are very young, pregnant, or suffering from another health issue.

If your dog drinks chocolate milk, watch him or her closely and call a veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for help. If you suspect that your dog has consumed large amounts of chocolate or chocolate milk, and notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, take your pet to the veterinarian immediately. If your dog or pup has consumed chocolate, a critical emergency vet visit is essential. If your dog has consumed an undisclosed amount of chocolate; is showing symptoms; is pregnant (theobromine may pass through the placenta and affect a pup); or has any other medical complications, you should bring your dog to a veterinarian immediately.

To learn about How To Liquify Chocolate, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.

It is possible that your veterinarian will recommend that you monitor your dogs condition and return if they get worse, depending on the dogs size, amount of chocolate consumed, and what type of chocolate your dog consumed. If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate, it is important to keep a close watch for signs of toxicity (see below), and you are encouraged to call your vet or Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680, fees apply) for advice. It is important to seek medical care by calling your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline once you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate. If you suspect your dog has eaten a little chocolate milk, monitor him for a few hours afterwards, as not all dogs will respond the same to the toxicants in chocolate milk.

A lick or two does not do your pet any harm, but eating chocolate or drinking milk does make their stomachs sick. Dairy products are difficult for dogs to digest, and that can cause upset stomachs or upset tummies if your pup drinks too much chocolate milk. A small amount does not harm dogs, but if they consume too much chocolate, it can cause death. All dogs are at risk for chocolate poisoning, but puppies are most likely to be involved in chocolate due to their curious nature, and their smaller size increases their risk for chocolate poisoning, even when consuming a small amount.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs mostly due to theobromine, a component in chocolate that dogs are not able to efficiently metabolize. While chocolate does also contain caffeine, theobromine is the compound responsible for the toxic effects of chocolate on dogs, as chocolate contains a far smaller amount of caffeine than theobromine, and dogs metabolize caffeine far more quickly than theobromine. Because theobromine is the compound responsible for the toxic effects of chocolate, any chocolate containing large amounts of the substance is going to be more dangerous to dogs. Dark chocolate, in fact, contains more theobromine than milk chocolate, which is why it is more dangerous for dogs.

When a dog consumes significant amounts of theobromine through eating chocolate, the substance does not dissolve quickly enough and stays in the dogs system too long, leading to symptoms of chocolate toxicity down the road. Dogs slowly process theobromine and caffeine, allowing these toxic compounds to accumulate in their systems and causing the clinical signs associated with chocolate toxicity. Theobromine content means drinking chocolate milk will result in excessive stimulation of heart, gut, and central nervous systems. The high amounts of theobromine make dogs extremely agitated and hyperactive.

For milk chocolate, ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight can place dogs at risk of chocolate poisoning. While it depends on the chocolate, only 0.3 ounces of concentrated chocolate per pound of body weight may be enough to kill a dog. To put that into perspective, a medium-sized dog that weighs 50 pounds will need to consume just 1 ounce of Bakers Chocolate, or 9 ounces of Milk Chocolate, to potentially exhibit signs of being poisoned.

Since the average Hersheys Milk Chocolate Bar is 1.55 ounces, eating even a single bar can cause significant consequences, particularly in smaller dogs. Severe chocolate toxicity can be fatal, which is why any dog experiencing chocolate toxicity effects should have ongoing monitoring from veterinarian staff. All dogs who have consumed toxic amounts of chocolate must be monitored carefully for signs of excitement, vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, abnormal heart rhythm, and elevated blood pressure. It turns out that cats are actually more susceptible to theobromine poisoning than dogs, yet we have never heard of a single cat who has become sick after eating chocolate.

What happens if a dog eats one coco puff?

Coco Puffs don’t contain huge amounts of chocolate, so it’s workable for your canine to ingest Coco Puffs and not become wiped out (contingent upon the amount he eats). In any case, your canine could have an unfriendly response, and watching out for your pet for any indications of harmfulness and illness is significant.

Can dogs eat Skittles?

Not a wellbeing danger in little amounts: Sugary items are generally ok for dogs to eat in little amounts. None the less, gorging can prompt spewing and the runs. Candy corn, Skittles, sharp sweets, Starburst, Smarties, Blow Pops and Jolly Ranchers are ok for canines in amounts of under 10 grams.

How soon will a dog get sick after eating chocolate?

Chocolate poisoning symptoms usually appear within six to twelve hours, but mostly they can appear within one hour. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, take immediate action rather than waiting for symptoms to appear. If you have any concerns about your pets’ health, we always recommend consulting a veterinarian.