Skip to Content

Can Cats Drink Chocolate Milk

Can Cats Drink Chocolate Milk

Can Cats Drink Chocolate Milk

Cats cannot drink chocolate milk, chocolate is toxic to cats. Drinking chocolate milk can lead to severe reaction such as stiffness, breathing problems, and seizures. It also affects a cat’s enzyme production due to sugar and lactose present in it and may also lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

By now, we already know chocolate milk is bad for cats; what many people do not know is just how harmful it is for cats, or at the very least, why they should not feed chocolate milk to their cats. They may not be healthy for your kitten, but think about if your cat is a pet, whether domesticated, or feral, before deciding if chocolate milk is worth giving to your cat. The bottom line is your cat should not have chocolate or foods containing chocolate, particularly those that have added sugar, artificial sweeteners, and dairy. The point is, if cats eat anything with chocolate or cacao, they are at risk for chocolate poisoning.

To learn about Can You Eat Lizards, check out my article where I cover everything you need to know.

In addition to lactose intolerance, you may run a risk of chocolate toxicity if you feed your cats chocolate milk. Knowing that obesity puts cats at risk for a variety of diseases, like diabetes, skin diseases, and arthritis, should be reason enough for you to avoid giving them chocolate milk, or any kind. While it is possible that your cat may bounce back after drinking a few drinks, if only once, regularly giving them chocolate milk may be causing them obesity. In the long run, chocolate milks high levels of fat and calories may also contribute to obesity, a deadly condition for cats that causes chronic, debilitating illnesses.

Can cats drink chocolate milkSide effects
Chocolate is toxic for catsIn large amounts, it can cause death
Drinking chocolate milk can lead to severe reaction such as stiffness, breathing problems, and seizuresVomiting
Can cats drink chocolate milk Vs Side effects of chocolate milk on cats.

Milk packs in lots of calories, meaning that if a pet owner gave their cat too much milk, there was no question that their chances of obesity would rise. So, drinking is perpetuated, and most owners feel that giving milk to their cats is okay. Because most cats seem to enjoy milk too, it is generally assumed that giving your animal milk is perfectly okay. While some people who have cats may think that is the best way to make their pets drink milk, the truth is quite the opposite.

Learn can cats drink chocolate milk

Milk does not just give cats the nutrients they need, but also gives them the energy they need to get through the day, snuggle up with their owners, or keep a busy life. You may wonder why some cats are still eager to drink milk, even in spite of the problems that this may bring to their lives. You might have picked up on the idea that cats like milk from TV, or in some way, your own cats might have shown an interest in drinking milk at one time. No, cats cannot drink chocolate cereal milk, as it may lead to cat chocolate poisoning because it contains high levels of theobromine.

There is much less theobromine and caffeine in chocolate milk compared to more dangerous varieties, so cats can only eat just a little more than an ounce. The toxic dose for cats is 200 mg/kg, but different types of chocolate contain varying amounts of theobromine. Theobromine, found in chocolate, is generally around 30-50 times more toxic to cats than caffeine. Cats are lactose-intolerant, and chocolate contains poisonous properties that may harm them.

Cats should avoid chocolate products if at all possible, because it is hazardous for their health and wellbeing. Milk chocolate is the worst among these, and it may cause the problems mentioned earlier; if your cat eats large amounts, this may cause serious complications. It is recommended not to let your cat consume small amounts of chocolate, because any amount could lead to disease for him or her. Your cat is likely fine eating some chocolate, but you should keep an eye on his behavior in the hours afterward to look for signs of overactivity or falling.

A cat can be hyperactive for several hours afterward, so be cautious if you know that your pet is going to be eating chocolate milk. When a cat is given too much sugar and chocolate, it will often result in an upset stomach. Cats bodies no longer make an enzyme to digest milk and all of the sugar in it, meaning that chocolate milk may be more of a shock to their systems. The fact that their bodies cannot make an enzyme needed for the digestion of milk and all of the sugar contained within means that chocolate milk may affect their digestive systems even more than they otherwise would.

By the way, if you’re interested in How To Preserve Figs, check out my article on that.

The sugars and lactose in chocolate milk may impact the catas enzyme production, and also trigger vomiting and diarrhea. Some dogs have a harder time digesting milk as well than cats, depending on the cats age. If you allow chocolate milk to be given to a cat, you can expect to get at least common symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting, which are still harmful to both you and your furry friend, so it is best to avoid chocolate milk, or milk altogether.

It is possible your cat will spontaneously throw up after eating chocolate, but do not attempt to induce vomiting yourself at home without express guidance from a qualified veterinarian. If you are concerned, immediately call a vet; if you get there soon after your cat has had a chocolate drink, he or she may be able to induce vomiting and flush out any toxicity of chocolate from his or her system.

If you are tempted to give your cat a bowl of the remaining milk with some of their cereal mixed in, remember that adult cats have trouble digesting lactose, so they may feel sick in the stomach. The vast majority of adult cats are lactose-intolerant, and veterinarians agree they should not be given milk in any flavors, including chocolate.

Fortunately, there are many healthier alternatives out there that do not leave you cleaning up after a lactose-intolerant cat who has had a little too much milk. We should never let cats get addicted to milk; they will demand it, and we will be powerless to deny it, even though it is unhealthy for them.

Chocolate is still bad for cats, as well as dogs, even though they are not as likely to try and get it from under your nose. Chocolate causes severe reactions in cats, including rigidity, breathing difficulties, and seizures. A single chocolate-laced cup of milk, experts say, can make cats sick with diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, seizures, or even death.

What happens if a cat drinks chocolate milk?

Cats shouldn’t drink chocolate milk, according to experts. It includes lactose, which cats cannot digest beyond roughly two months of age, and they will thus experience nausea and vomiting in the near term. At the same time, a small amount of chocolate low in cocoa may not cause harm.

Will a tiny bit of chocolate hurt my cat?

Your cat can only eat so much chocolate at once. All types of chocolate, including baking chocolate and dry cocoa powder (the most deadly due to their high theobromine content), milk, dark, and semi-sweet chocolate, and even white chocolate with its low cocoa content, are poisonous to your pet.

Can cats eat cheese?

Cats do not typically eat cheese as part of their diet. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning that the only source of essential nutrition for them is meat. The delicate digestive tract of a cat can be irritated by cheese, despite the fact that it is similarly abundant in protein. The cause of this is that cats don’t react well to dairy.